Structural Investigations, Testing and NDT
Unravel structural integrity with BES Group's expert investigations
Trust BES Group to safeguard your infrastructure’s structural integrity with our comprehensive range of investigations, testing, and non-destructive testing (NDT) services. We are dedicated to identifying and mitigating risks associated with deterioration, damage, and hazardous materials in your assets.
Leading structural investigations
Using a variety of non-destructive and intrusive testing methods to gather data, we have the expertise and experience to help you assess the condition of your structures and identify any potential problems. We will also interpret the results to provide you with clear and concise reports, too.
We specialise in difficult access, and have extensive operational experience in rope access, diving, and confined space working, which means we can inspect structures in any location and any environment. In recent years, we’ve enhanced our service offering with our use of state-of-the-art technologies, such as UAVs, underwater sonar, and digital scanning techniques, to improve the efficiency and accuracy of our inspections.
We can provide a wide range of structural investigations, testing, and NDT services to suit your requirements, including:
- Post tensioned special investigations
- Concrete testing including reinforcement surveys
- Asbestos surveys
We can also combine our structural investigations, testing, and NDT services with other services, such as routine inspections, IFAs, and asbestos management, to provide greater efficiencies for our customers.
Our comprehensive service portfolio
Post tensioned special investigations
We have the capabilities, experience, and skills to carry out all aspects of risk reviews, risk assessments, inspections, and site investigations for concrete structures. We use a combination of destructive and non-destructive testing methods to assess the condition of structures and identify any potential problems.
Our services include:
- Risk reviews: We review historical records, drawings, and other information to identify potential hazards and assess the risks associated with them.
- Risk assessments: We conduct detailed risk assessments that take into account all of the relevant factors, such as the design, construction, and maintenance history of the structure, as well as the environmental conditions in which it is located.
- Inspections: We carry out detailed inspections of structures to identify any visible defects or damage. We also use a variety of non-destructive testing methods to assess the condition of the structure without damaging it.
- Site investigations: In some cases, we may need to carry out intrusive site investigations, such as coring, to obtain more detailed information about the condition of the structure.
- In-Situ Stress Measurement: We can use a variety of methods to measure the stresses in existing structures.
- Interpretation of results: We interpret the results of our inspections and site investigations to assess the condition of the structure and identify any potential problems. We also provide our clients with recommendations for managing the risks associated with their structures.
Coring investigations and analysis
Coring is a non-destructive testing (NDT) method used to extract cylindrical samples of concrete from a structure. Coring can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- To assess the compressive strength of concrete
- To test for the presence of chemicals or other contaminants
- To sample reinforcement
- To inspect voids or structural elements
- To establish foundation depth
We offer two types of coring services:
Core sampling: Core samples are sent to a laboratory for testing. Tests that can be performed on core samples include compressive strength testing, chemical analysis, reinforcement sampling, and petrographic testing.
Structural details: Coring can be used to inspect voids or structural elements, or to establish foundation depth.Get in touch to find out more
Concrete testing including reinforcement surveys
We provide a comprehensive range of concrete testing and reinforcement survey services to help you assess the condition of your concrete structures and identify any potential problems. Our services include:
- Non-destructive testing (NDT): We use a variety of NDT methods to assess the condition of concrete without damaging it. These methods include ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle inspection, and ground penetrating radar.
- Intrusive investigations: In some cases, we may need to carry out intrusive investigations, such as coring, to obtain more detailed information about the condition of the concrete.
- Reinforcement surveys: We can use a variety of methods to survey the reinforcement in concrete structures, including cover meter surveys, magnetic particle inspection, and ultrasonic testing.
At BES Group, we’re proud of our extensive experience in carrying out concrete testing and reinforcement surveys in a variety of environments, including bridges, buildings, and marine structures, to ensure your structures are kept in the best possible condition.Get in touch to find out more
We provide comprehensive asbestos survey services to help bridge owners and other clients identify and manage the risks associated with asbestos-containing materials (ACMs). Our services include:
- Desktop studies: We review historical records and other information to identify the potential presence of ACMs in a property or structure.
- Risk assessments: We assess the risks associated with any identified ACMs, taking into account factors such as the type of ACM, its condition, and its accessibility.
- Management plans: We develop management plans to help clients safely manage the risks associated with ACMs. These plans may include recommendations for monitoring, removal, or encapsulation of ACMs.
- Asbestos surveys: We carry out management, refurbishment, and demolition asbestos surveys to identify and locate all ACMs in a property or structure.
- Bulk sampling: We collect bulk samples of suspected ACMs for laboratory analysis.
- Soil sampling: We collect soil samples for asbestos analysis to identify potential contamination.
We have extensive experience in carrying out asbestos surveys in a variety of environments, including bridges, buildings, and highways infrastructure, to ensure that your site is free from risk.Get in touch to find out more
Why choose us
We complement our specialised skills with cutting-edge technologies to further enhance our operational capabilities. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), underwater sonar, and digital scanning techniques provide us with precise and efficient data gathering, even in remote or hazardous settings.
Unmatched capabilities for challenging environments
BES Group stands apart as a specialist in inspecting structures in even the most challenging locations and environments. Our team possesses extensive expertise in rope access, confined space entry, and underwater inspection techniques, enabling us to reach and assess structures that would otherwise be inaccessible.
Unwavering safety commitment
We prioritise safety throughout every project, ensuring the well-being of our team and your assets.
Hear what our customers have to say
We care about the journey we take our customers on, but it’s not our word you should be taking, see what our customers think of the service we provided!
We have been with BES for the past 5 years and don’t plan on switching providers. They are very flexible with their services and are able to bring the best inspectors who can deal with on the ground challenges and build real relationships with clients.
Global Technical Services Manager
BES is a really disruptive force in the market, they are able to provide a variety of necessary services to their customers and none of the other big players are able to provide that breadth of services.
The BES inspectors are way more technically competent and diligent compared to other providers. I previously used Allianz, and BES definitely stands out due to their strong technical competence and strong back office support.
Project Operations Manager
Why is asbestos surveying important?
Asbestos is a known carcinogen that can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. Asbestos surveys are essential for identifying and managing the risks associated with ACMs.
Why is concrete testing important?
Concrete testing is important to identify any potential problems with concrete structures before they cause serious damage or failure. Concrete can be damaged by a variety of factors, including corrosion, fatigue, and overloading. Concrete testing can help to identify these problems early on, so that they can be repaired before they cause any major problems.
Why is Coring important?
Coring is an important tool for assessing the condition of concrete structures. It can be used to identify potential problems, such as low compressive strength, corrosion of reinforcement, or voids in the concrete. Coring can also be used to confirm the design of a structure or to investigate the cause of damage.
Why are Post Tensioned Special Investigations important?
Risk reviews, risk assessments, inspections, and site investigations are essential for identifying and managing the risks associated with concrete structures. Concrete structures can be damaged by a variety of factors, including corrosion, fatigue, and overloading. By identifying any potential problems early on, these investigations can help to prevent serious damage or failure.